In processing licence applications and amendments, OfReg sets minimum service and performance standards to safeguard the longer-term interests of consumers and the management of assets.
Types of licences
There is a legal requirement to obtain a water licence if you intend to provide:
- Water supply services for potable and non-potable water
- Sewerage service
- Irrigation service (for irrigation for agriculture or pasture) or
- Wastewater service
Activities that do not require a licence and fall outside of the scope of the law include:
- Self-supply of water services
- Sale of water by means of other water services works such as transporting water or sewage by cart, truck, or tanker and
- Where a person is simply an intermediary through whom the service is provided by a third party (e.g., a shopping centre where water is delivered to individual tenants).