For a better view on The Utility Regulation and Competition Office (OfReg), Update Your Browser.


Contact Us

3rd Floor, Monaco Towers II,
11 Dr. Roy's Drive, George Town
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Mailing Address:
PO Box 10189
Grand Cayman KY1-1002
Fuel Licensing

Fuel Permitting and Licensing

Currently, OfReg issues two types of permits relating to fuels and other dangerous substances. These are Import and Operating. Operating permits are granted to vehicle and fixed installations with aggregate capacities above 250 Imperial Gallons.

The Office is in the advanced stage of issuing license to larger players in the sector, replacing the operating permit with a more robust system of oversight and regulation of these entities.


Types of Permits

Import permits are required for any person that imports more than thirty-five (35) imperial gallons of fuel or thirty-five (35) liquids gallons of compressed gas (oxygen, hydrogen, carbon dioxide, etc.) stored at one hundred pounds per square inch (100 PSI) or more.

“Fuel” includes petrol (gasoline), diesel, kerosene, aviation fuels, liquefied petroleum gas, liquefied natural gas, compressed natural gas, biodiesel, ethanol, any substance that is used as a substitute for any of the fuels mentioned, any other petroleum or non-petroleum fuel and any substance that is supplied or represented as any of the fuels previously mentioned.

To be granted an import permit, applicants must hold a valid operating licence for a regulated premise. The imports will be stored once in the importer's possession.

Only persons with a valid import permit will be allowed to clear these types of regulated imports at the HM Customs Department.

Operating permits There are two types of Operating Permits: Premise & Vehicle.
A Premise Operating Permit is required for every location (including private residences & commercial buildings) that has dangerous substance storage of 250 imperial gallons or greater.

Vehicle Operating Permits are required for every vehicle used to transport dangerous substances, regardless of the quantity of fuel the vehicle transports, including vehicles that have been modified to transport any dangerous substance as cargo.

Dangerous substances include petroleum, petroleum products, flammable liquid gas (e.g. propane), hazardous production material, flammable liquid (e.g. gasoline), combustible liquid (e.g. diesel), compressed gas, flammable gas, highly volatile liquid and dangerous industrial gases.

The operator of regulated premises or vehicles shall not operate or occupy or cause such regulated premises or vehicles to be driven or occupied without a valid operating permit. Operating without a licence carries a fine of $50,000 and/or five years imprisonment upon summary conviction and $10,000 for every day during which the offence continues.

Instructions and Checklist for Permit Applications

This site uses cookies: Find out more
Okay, Thanks